Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Plug, A Plug! My Kingdom for a Plug!

Ummm….

Ok, EC4A (My weekly podcast, link in the sidebar) is slowly working its way out of its infancy. I think I have the format, the style and all the technical details as good as they’re going to get without going out and buying a bunch of equipment I can’t afford.

My only problem is that it’s hosted on the same service as about a gazillion other podcasts, and the only listeners I’m getting are people coming from here, and a tiny percentage of random surfers.

That being said, I’m getting a lot of good feedback (and coming up on around 40 downloads per episode), but I’m getting to the stage where actually getting it ‘out there’ is becoming a bigger deal than it was when I’d just finished the first episode.

Unfortunately this is pretty damn hard to do without being really obnoxious.

Firstly, other than posting here on Tuesdays when the new episodes are posted, I’m going to pretty much stop talking about it. Basically, one of my favorite sites ever just stopped being worth visiting when the author got a book deal…because all he would talk about was his book. I don’t want to go down that same road.

The other really obnoxious way is commenting on as many other podcasts and blogs as I can find. Something which I flat out refuse to do. I’ve directed more than a few rants at those awful people who use other people’s comments as advertising for their own sites, and spamming just really isn’t my thing.

So basically, the whole point of this post is that I need some ideas on how to ‘advertise’ without being a douche. So any ideas would be appreciated.

In closing, I think the best form of advertising is word of mouth, so if any of you out there have listened to the podcast and liked it…please tell your friends!

Thanks.

[Edit - Since publishing this blog, there is now a 'Digg This' button on the main podcast page. If you're a digg member and like the podcast, diggs are appreciated!]

2 comments:

MC Etcher said...

Your podcast can be mentioned without becoming obnoxious! Keep us up to date.

OzzyC said...

I agree with Etcher... it's okay to let us, your regular readers, know about your podcasts. You can also use StumbleUpon. In fact, I'll do it for you.