Saturday, September 24, 2005

Charles Miller. Rest In Peace.

If you've read my wife's blog , you'll know that her father passed away in the early hours of this morning.

I hardly knew Charles, but it didn't take me long to know the type of man that he was. You can see it in the faces of every single member of his family.

Charles was first and foremost a family man. It would be hard to find a more caring individual. He was always there for his family and friends, whether it was to offer a kind word, some sage advice, or even to write a cheque.

Charles was the kind of man who would knowingly and deliberately make life difficult for himself, just to make life a tiny bit easier for those around him.. To Charles, his family and friends always came first, without hesitation or a word of complaint. To Charles, there was no choice in looking after himself or others. Taking care of others was the right thing to do, and that is what he would do, automatically and without thought for himself.

He hardly knew me when I moved to America, but he and his wife, Nancy, did everything they could to make me feel welcome. From day one, they treated me like family. In fact, that's wrong, from day one I was family.

I find it amazing, in this cynical day and age, how Charles opened his family to me with such grace and ease. It's a strange feeling to feel like you truly belong when surrounded by near strangers, but that's exactly what I felt.

Charles died at 12.15am this morning, in his bed, in the house that he built with his own two hands, surrounded by his family. He leaves behind family, friends, but not one single enemy.

If you know nothing else about Charles, the fact he left this world without making a single enemy should tell you all you need to know about him.

It is said that no-one truly dies as long as he is remembered and their name is still spoken. If that is the case, Charles will live forever, in the hearts and minds of his family, and the legion of friends he left behind.

I know that right now, wherever Charles is, he's on the bank of a river enjoying a day's fishing. Probably telling anyone who will listen his stories from when he worked on the railroad.

All I know is, wherever he is, it's a much better place thanks to his presence.

Rest in Peace, Charles, you will be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paulius,
Thiat was a lovely tribute to your father-in-law. Thank you for posting it. Please promise to make my Sunny smile at least once every day, OK?

Hugs,
Lois

MC Etcher said...

It's always the best people we lose. Bad guys never die.