Thursday, December 04, 2008

Brain Fart.

Today's post is little more than a thank you to Evanesce.

We were playing a little online Halo today (and I think I totally interrupted his COD4 session by spamming him with game invites. I rather arrogantly assumed the reason he wasn't answering was because he was away from his console...and not just waiting for me to shut up so he could keep playing COD....if that was the case, sorry dude.)

Anyway, I suddenly remembered I wanted to ask him about the wireless adapter he was using for his 360 and the conversation went something like this:

"Hey, you've got your 360 hooked up wirelessly, right?" I said.

"Nope." He replied

"Oh, never mind then..." I said. "I just found a cheap wireless adapter I was thinking of getting for the 360. It's sixty bucks versus a hundred for the official one. I just wondered if you knew anything about it."

"That's still too much money." He said. "I'd just get a really long ethernet cable and do it that way."

I got ready to explain why that wouldn't work...but then I realised there was no reason why it couldn't work. For some unknown reason I'd just never considered running a cable instead of buying a wireless adapter, despite the fact the 360 is less than five paces from where my modem usually resides.

All I'd have to do is lay the new ethernet cable along the same path as the main modem cable and 99.9% of it would be hidden behind bookshelves, the entertainment center, etc.

I just checked the prices of ethernet cable online. I can get a 50 foot cable for less than eight dollars.

I've no idea why it never occured to me before. I think I'd just internally classified my router as a 'wireless device' so I'd just never considered just running a cable.

Well, the long at the short of it is that Evan just unwittingly saved me 50-90 dollars.

The moral of the story:

It doesn't matter if you're as thick as pigshit as long as you have intelligent and patient friends.

2 comments:

Evan 08 said...

Glad I could save you some scratch.

Anonymous said...

Frank has a ethernet cord thats really long( its almost goes to moms house) and we have no use for it b/c we cant run it that far :). Im sure you can use it.