Thursday, October 15, 2009

People Who Should Die Painfully #3721

People who use the word 'Guesstimate' should die horribly in a series of fires..

It actually makes me a little angry that my spellcheck actually recognizes it as a word. Use this word in front of me and I'll be overtaken by an almost uncontrollable urge to punch you as hard as I can, right in the center of your face.

It's a completely redundant word.

Guess: to arrive at or commit oneself to an opinion about (something) without having sufficient evidence to support the opinion fully: to guess a person's weight.

Estimate: to make an educated guess regarding the worth, amount, size, weight, etc., of something.

So, if you're guessing at something, you're taking a shot in the dark without any information. If you're estimating something, you're making a guess, but with a limited amount of information.

So, what in the blue fuck does 'Guesstimate' mean? I'll tell you what it means. 'Guesstimate' means 'Estimate'. You can either take a guess, or you can estimate, you can't 'guesstimate' It's a total fucking oxymoron.

If you use the word 'Guesstimate, you're an asshole and you should die in a fire.

1 comment:

Serendipity-Do-Dah said...

I don't do guesstimates, I do SWAG's (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses)

Oh and since when did you start spelling in American? Recognise, your American Typo? lol

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/recognise

Oh and on the subject of Bastardised English, I had a test today at a Staffing Agency, where I was quite literally forced (at the risk of failing the test) to claim that FLAVOUR was misspelled. You have no idea how much I wanted to slap them all upside the head aand explain that the U belongs in all these words that they have chosen to remove it from!