Saturday, October 31, 2009

I just realised...

About two or three weeks ago, I started feeling pretty crappy. I had a headache, slight dizziness and was generally achy and...well, the polite way to say it is I had to visit the bathroom a lot.

I'd also just been put on a new medication, and checking on the side effects, almost everything I was feeling was on the list...so I decided to give it a week to see if it went away or if I'd have to see the doctor about adjusting my meds.

About a week later, I was feeling fine...but Sunny started to have exactly the same symptoms that I had. She went to the doctor and found out she had the flu...and was told that because of the particular symptoms she was having, the same ones I had a week before she got sick, it was more than likely the dreaded swine flu.

Now, here's the thing. As a diabetic, I'm considered to have a 'compromised immune system'. The way the Doctor explained it to me is that it's like I've got HIV, just not as bad. In simplest terms, my blood is very bacteria and virus friendly.

In other words, if there's a disease going around, I'm way more than likely to get it than a non-diabetic and I'm likely to have it for longer.

Then...after Sunny got over her flu, despite the fact we were in close quarters the entire time, I never got sick.

So, guess what that means?

It means that the first time I was feeling under the weather, it's about a hundred times more likely that it was the fucking swine flu and not side effects from my meds.

So...yeah. This killer disease that's going to end all life on earth and the reason you shouldn't leave your home without a hazmat suit... I had it, fel a little under the weather, and got over it...without ever realising I actually had it in the first place.

Oh, and considering more people have died this week alone from the regular flu than have died from the swine flu ever... I somehow think that this disease isn't quite the biblical plague certain news networks would have us believe.

No comments: