Friday, April 02, 2010

FFFUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuu

So I get up today, turn on the desktop and notice it's making slightly more noise than usual. I figure the fans are just working harder than normal because the weather's getting hotter, and decide to give the inside a clean once I'd checked my mail.

Just as I'm checking my mail, I hear a light 'clink' sound, and suddenly the computer goes from making slightly more noise than usual to sounding like a freaking V8 and starts vibrating violently enough to shake the whole desk.

I leapt for the off button (this wasn't a 'shut down safely' situation), unplugged the power and cracked open the case.

As I guessed the CPU cooling fan had lost a blade, which had taken out another, which had thrown the whole fan off balance.

So, obviously, I can't turn the damn thing back on unless I want the processor to overheat or the hard drive to mess up because of the heavy vibration.

Now, you're probably thinking this is no big deal. I've got the laptop that I'm using now, and a new cooling fan costs around ten dollars...but it kinda IS a big deal because not only is all MY stuff on the desktop, including my Nike+ stuff and iTunes library (meaning I can't log any walks or sync my iPod)...the desktop is my media server...meaning all my movies, TV shows and music that I usually stream to the TV are inaccessible.

Oh, and this week we have absolutely zero free money because we have to replace the fucking hot water heater.

So, yeah...it's getting uncomfortably hot, I haven't been able to take a proper shower in over a week, my back and legs are killing me and now my computer's bricked until I can get a new cooling fan.

In all honesty, I'm starting to seriously wonder why the fuck I bother getting out of bed in the morning.

No comments: