Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Because I haven’t slept and have a headache.

Clicking the Stumble button, I found this:

"Modern Family actress Julie Bowen recently showed off this photo of herself nursing her infant twin sons in the "football hold" on the late-night show Lopez Tonight. What surprised us most? Bowen's admission that The View had allegedly declined to let her show the same photo.

Bowen is obviously proud of her accomplishment of nursing her sons, as she should be, and wants to encourage other moms. Her photo, showing that breastfeeding twins is indeed possible, would have been educational and inspirational to other moms."

Ok, in case you're wondering, this isn't going to be about censorship…it's going to be about parenting and this ridiculous attitude that having a child is some kind of massive achievement.

I mean, I says it in the excerpt right there. "Bowen is obviously proud of her accomplishment of nursing her sons."

I'm asking you seriously… Am I going crazy? Am I wrong to believe that the feat of holding a baby up to your nipple isn't exactly an 'accomplishment'?

But it's the next bit that totally blew my mind: "Her photo, showing that breastfeeding twins is indeed possible, would have been educational and inspirational to other moms."

... Seriously? Are you telling me that there are women out there who thought it was impossible to nurse two babies at once? Who are these women? Who in the blue hell gives birth to twins and doesn't at some point realize that they have two nipples? Where there women a home watching the show and it suddenly dawns on them:

Oh…my…God! Two babies…two boobies…I could feed both at once!

To be honest, the thing that really bothers me about that article is the attitude that seems to be very common in our society where people think giving birth is some massive achievement and something to be insanely proud of.

I hate to say this, but all having a child says about you is you did the nasty 9 months ago. It's like "Congratulations! You've managed to do what billions of people in the world have managed before you! Way to rub your genitals together!"

If you'll allow me a small tangent for a minute…it's like those massive smacktards who post pictures of their babies as their profile pictures on social networking sites. It's not impressive, no one but yourself and maybe your immediate family give a shit that you managed to pop out a sprog…and way to completely miss the point of a profile picture, asshole. If I'm trying to track down an old friend, am I supposed to work out it's you from the family resemblance of the two month old (who is frankly indistinguishable from ever other two month old in the world) in the picture you posted where your own should be?

What's next? Gonna send your fucking ultra-sound scan in when you apply for your passport?

Here's the deal. Having a baby isn't impressive. It's not even special.

What is an achievement is being a good parent.

Don't act like you're something special because you stuck your penis in a vagina… I'm not going to applaud your 'achievement' of having sex without protection.

I'll wait until your kid's eight or nine and comes over to my house with you and is polite, well-mannered and knows how to behave. That I will applaud.

6 comments:

Saffy said...

Come on now Paul. Having a child IS an amazing thing. Yes it starts with two people having unprotected sex, but the biology behind it is beyond amazing.

As a woman, the fact that we can grow a child inside our body, then give birth, and then our body can produce the food to feed the child. It amazes me.

I look forward to it, and I know I will be amazed very step of the way.

Sunny said...

You have absolutely NI IDEA how hard it is to get a child to breast-feed, Sweetie.
Two at once? Almost impossible.

Paulius said...

Saffy : BIOLOGICALLY it's an amazing thing...but my point is just having a child isn't an achievement.

Sunny: Yeah, but isn't that down to the babies? All the mother did was hold the kids up to her boobs...again, hardly an amazing feat.

Saffy said...

I think you're missing the point Paul. How can you say whether or not it is amazing or an achievement if it's something you will NEVER do because you're a bloke.....It's a bit like when men get their noses in the abortion debate - you don't have the ability to be pregnant so it shouldn't be your business...so to speak.

Evan 08 said...

"...it's a bit like when men get their noses in the abortion debate - you don't have the ability to be pregnant so it shouldn't be your business...so to speak..."

Awww $h!+
Please allow me to VEHEMENTLY disagree with this one. For the sake of discussion, consider the two following scenarios...

(1) A man and woman have sex, and a child is conceived. Heck, to further the argument, let's say that he wore a condom and it broke. She becomes pregnant and decides to have the child. The man has NO say in this, and also is on the hook for child support. This, by the way, is the status quo.

(2) A man and a woman have sex, and a child is conceived. She becomes pregnant and decides to terminate the pregnancy, despite HIS willingness to raise the child.

I understand that in the end it's the woman's body, but how can any woman worth her salt claim that it's "not the man's business?"

Saffy said...

It's NOT the mans business because he doesn't have the responsibility of carrying the child. The risks associated with childbirth and the aftereffects of childbirth. Abortion comes down to being a woman's choice - not a mans.
I didn't say that if i was in the situation i wouldn't consult how the male felt about it, but I would do that out of my sense of moral obligation to the person. Ultimately, my decision would be the one that counted. That's just fact. Woman's body - Woman's choice. When men develop the ability to carry a child, they can have the same rights.