Wednesday, October 22, 2008

America, I have to warn you, we really are taking the first steps on a very slippery slope…and it is one hell of a fall to the bottom.

This week, ‘LittleBigPlanet’, possibly the biggest and most anticipated PS3 release of the year, was postponed and with Sony issuing a full recall of the game.

Why?

Because one of the licensed music tracks in the game contained a couple of verses from the Koran.

This shit has got to stop.

As I’ve mentioned before, the US Constitution gives us all the right to free speech, but it does not give us the right to not be offended. It’s a double-edged sword. It gives you the right to say whatever you want to say, but it also gives that same right to the people you disagree with.

Its not even as if this song from the game is even offensive…but here’s the kicker, it wouldn’t matter even if it was. Contrary to what a lot of people would like you to believe, it’s not actually illegal to offend anyone.

Here’s my suggestion. If LittleBigPlanet, or any game, movie or book for that matter offends you, don’t buy it.

Now, if you find this situation unbearable and can’t stand a videogame ‘blaspheming’ and don’t like living in a country where people offending you isn’t against the law…and as an immigrant myself I feel I’m eminently qualified to say this…feel 100% completely and totally free to fuck off back where you came from.

As I said at the start of this post, this really is the first step on a slippery slope. When it becomes ‘accepted’ that you can’t speak negatively about one thing…what’s next?

America is supposed to be built on freedom and the foundation of freedom is freedom of speech and information. Constantly having to censor ourselves, or being censored by others, is eroding those freedoms.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to wake up one morning and find myself living in China.

No comments: