Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ok, Now I'm pissed.

Ok, I think I'm officially done with Second Life.

To be completely honest, I've not been playing SL for a good long while now. However, it was a good source of extra income.

As you know, I have a clothing store in SL, and used to run a 'photography' service.

I closed the photography store, because I was tired of dealing with assholes. What happened today completely takes the cake.

Someone told me a while ago about an SL bank. You pay your lindens into it, and you get interest on your account. I started off carefully. I put a few thousand lindens in there (a couple of bucks) to see what would happen.

Everything was fine, and stayed that way for about 6 months. I was making a few dollars a week on interest along.

Then linden labs completely pussed out and put a stop to gambling in SL.

What does this have to do with me? Well picture the scene from "It's a Wonderful Life", only the good people of SL weren't nice enough to just take enough to tide them over. Long story short, everyone shit a gold brick, started withdrawing money and the bank folded.

So what the bank did was issue shares on the SL stock exchange, and give everyone the same amount of shares that they had in lindens. Apparently the 'face value' was one linden dollar each.

Of course, that lasted roughly two seconds, so now my 15,000 linden dollars (worth around a hundred dollars), is now 1400l worth of shares.

A hundred bucks to about 5 dollars in the time it takes to blink.

Nice, huh?

2 comments:

lolly said...

I gave you my lindens....I hope that makes up some of the loss....

MC Etcher said...

Prime opportunity to sue the US Govt! If they can impose gambling laws, then surely federal bank protection also applies?