Sunday, July 12, 2009

Twilight

With everyone going so apeshit over 'Twilight', including my darling wife, I finally decided to read the first book.

I didn't really know what to expect. You see, I laughed at all the adults who read Harry Potter and made fun of my dad mercilessly when he bought Goblet of Fire to see what all the fuss was about. Then, I gave it a go and before I knew it, it was 3am and I was going to read 'just one more chapter' before going to bed.

Twilight…wasn't like that.

I got to the end of the first book and realized something:

I'd just read an unpopular teenage girl's masturbation fantasy.

Now, there's not really anything wrong with that…we all love a bit of escapism now and again…but I don't understand how a book that is, at best, a teenager's guilty pleasure could become such a worldwide phenomenon.

Oh, and vampires don't sparkle in the sun. Period.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

So that means you probably won't read the rest of the books and now you NEVER know what happens to them.
And it'll serve you right.....whoever heard of anyone who didn't like Sparkly vampires.
Pfffft..........

MC Etcher said...

LOL. Well the fun of creating your own vampire series is to give them the powers you want.

Sparkling is an interesting reason to avoid the sun and being revealed as something unusual, but a little body makeup would solve that problem.

It's definitely cheese, but I can only speak for the movie version - never bothered with the books.

Woman atop her Soapbox said...

If you want good vampire stories (with a lot of adult sex mixed in) read Laurell Hamilton. Now that is something to get excited about.

And always, the original vampire book series writer was Anne Rice who will always be the queen of vampire for me.

~WAHS

AMSSC said...

At first, I was expecting more of a Harry Potter thing, but then it was so much more different. In fact I'm watching Twilight right now. I don't consider it a masturbation story. I think it's a romantic sci-fi novel. ....I've been on SL lately. Miss you. Let me know what's going on with you. e-mail me. It's still the same or you can try amsscooper@gmail.com ---amanda.