Sunday, July 12, 2009

Twilight

With everyone going so apeshit over 'Twilight', including my darling wife, I finally decided to read the first book.

I didn't really know what to expect. You see, I laughed at all the adults who read Harry Potter and made fun of my dad mercilessly when he bought Goblet of Fire to see what all the fuss was about. Then, I gave it a go and before I knew it, it was 3am and I was going to read 'just one more chapter' before going to bed.

Twilight…wasn't like that.

I got to the end of the first book and realized something:

I'd just read an unpopular teenage girl's masturbation fantasy.

Now, there's not really anything wrong with that…we all love a bit of escapism now and again…but I don't understand how a book that is, at best, a teenager's guilty pleasure could become such a worldwide phenomenon.

Oh, and vampires don't sparkle in the sun. Period.

No comments: