Friday, December 18, 2009

I hate you, Paula Deen

So today we went and replaced my camera that got stolen with a new Nikon Coolpix S570 (expect a full review in a few days).

One of the things this camera has that my old one didn't was face detection. Believe it or not, in portrait shooting mode, the camera will detect your face, automatically take the picture when you smile and then smooth out your skin.

...or at least that's the theory. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) it has difficulty when you're wearing glasses, have a full beard and you're trying the camera out at night with just a single lamp on in the room.

So, there I was, holding the camera at arms length, gurning like an idiot with the camera detecting my face but not detecting my smile.

So I turn the camera around and get ready to check the settings to make sure I have it set up correctly, when suddenly the camera beeps and flashes.

Apparently, it can't detect me smiling when I'm holding it at arms length, but it can detect Paula Deen's stupid fat grinning face on the TV about 12 feet away.

No comments: