Monday, September 14, 2009

That's true, but...

Commenting on yesterday's post, Evan said:

"Correction: You said that health care companies stand to lose some money. That's not exactly true... they stand to lose a shit-load of money."

I was just going to answer that in the comments, but it's such a good point, I thought I'd make a whole new short blog post about it.

Yes, Healthcare companies are going to lose a shit-load of money, but we're talking about an industry that sold me a pill $2.50 pill for $200 (an 8000% markup) and charged me the equivalent $400 for five minutes of the doctor's time (that's $48,000 an hour).

There's a word for that. Greed.

So, forgive me if I have very little sympathy for them. If the Healthcare industry hadn't been so greedy in the first place there wouldn't be any need for talk about socialized healthcare.

Think of it this way: If I owned the only food store in a 500 mile radius and marked everything up by 8000%, about eight hundred bucks for a loaf of bread, because my customers either bought from me or starved... I doubt there'd be any debate if a plan came along that would force me to lower my prices.

Tha's what this whole debate is about. It's not about quality of healthcare or freedom of choice, it's about a tiny minority who would rather see millions of Americans go without healthcare so they can purchase a fourth yacht.

No comments: