Friday, March 25, 2011

Weird

Well, I’ve been under a bit of a blogging black out since I arrived back in the UK, and it’s not because of a lack of things to write about, in fact, the exact opposite is true. There’s so much to write about that it’s been pretty hard to know where to start.

The main thing that’s struck me is just how surreal it is to be back. I’ve been away for roughly seven years and…well… it feels a lot like I’m stuck in a Twilight Zone episode.

You see, it feels like someone’s built a replica of my childhood home, but has got a lot of the details wrong. I walk down a street that I’ve walked down a million times…but now the post office is on the wrong side of the street, there’s a carpet store where the video rental place used to be, the busses are the wrong color and there’s a young family living next door instead of the old lady who lived there for as long as I can remember.

It’s really strange, it’s my home town, but the same time, it isn’t…it’s more like a version of my home town. I keep expecting a façade to fall down and to find people with clip-boards behind it taking notes about how I’m reacting.

What makes it infinitely weirder is Sunny’s presence. Not only is it a major case of worlds colliding, a lot of things are completely new to her… and seeing everything through her eyes is just plain strange. You grow up accepting certain things as completely normal and you only notice how weird things are when someone from outside points them out to you.

No comments: