Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Wife Better Than Yours - Official!

Sunny was off work last night so we found ourselves still up and about at about 8am when we finally decided to go to bed.

We hadn’t been in there for more than five minutes when Sunny suddenly said “I’m hungry.”

“I’m hungry.” Is the code word that both of us use that basically means “You should go cook us both something.” Sunny said it first, which meant that I was obligated to cook…so I thought fast.

“You know.” I said. “Today’s Tuesday. We’ve gotta go get groceries and pay some bills, so why don’t we go do that now instead of sleeping first, and we can stop at Jack-in-the-Box on the way or something?”

“Ok.” Sunny said.

So that’s exactly what we did.

On the way home I asked Sunny if we could stop at the local Hobby-Lobby. I needed a pointer for my clutch-pencil and with the stylus for my graphics pad broken, I wanted to see if I could get a good brush-tip India-ink pen so I could at least ink my comics traditionally until I could get a replacement stylus.

Sunny loves Hobby-Lobby almost as much as I do, so we stopped there on the way home. I got what I wanted and Sunny got herself a set of ‘watercolor pencils’ to try out.

As always, while I was there, I drooled over the drafting desks.

Anyway, we get home and Sunny’s mom called and asked her if she’d go with her on an errand. While Sunny was gone, I decided to try out my new pen.

Just as a little aside, over the past few days I’ve been trying to get Sunny interested in D&D. I really want to play again, and I figured if I can get Sunny interested, I only need to find two or three more people to make up a party. Knowing Sunny likes the whole ‘stealth assassin’ kinda thing, I decided that’s what I’d draw to break in my pen. A character portrait of a female rogue.

So I did a quick 20 minute sketch and inked it. Just as I finished Sunny came back.

“Watcha drawing?” She asked.

“A character portrait for you for if we ever play D&D.”

I showed it to her and asked her what she thought. After finally ‘training’ her to know that I don’t just wanna be told that whatever I’ve drawn is ‘good’ she said:

“It’s good, but her upper body looks a little off.”

“Really?” I said. I thought I’d ‘nailed’ it this time round….but I looked and saw she was dead right.

“Crap!” I said. “I know what’s happened.”

You see, I draw at the computer desk. Because the drawing is flat on the desk and I’m seeing it from a 45 degree angle, a lot of the time my drawings look ‘stretched’ when you look at them straight on. If you hold it in your hands and tilt it backwards, it looks good…in other words, great when viewed from the position it was in when I drew it, crap when viewed normally.

“Ugh.” I said. “Next week we gotta go to the Home Depot.”

“Why?” Sunny asked.

“Because, if I can probably buy a sheet of MDF for ten bucks and I can screw some ‘legs’ to one end of it, and put it on my desk. Poor-man’s drafting desk, basically.”

“Ah.” Sunny said.

Anyway, by that point it was close to 3 in the afternoon, I hadn’t slept since yesterday morning, so I laid down on the couch, turned on the TV and promptly fell asleep.

I awoke a measly 13 hours later at 4am.

I get up, turn on a light, go to the bathroom, get something to drink…when I notice something sitting on the computer keyboard. I pick it up. It’s an envelope addressed to ‘The Best Husband Ever’.

Considering he wasn’t around, I decided to open it for him. Inside was a note that read:

Baby,

I know I didn’t discuss this with you, but you’re always so wonderful to me I wanted you to have something special. Think of it as part of your Christmas from me…and please don’t be mad at me!

Love Sunny.

At first I thought “What a gip!” I mean…I know everyone loves to find notes from their significant other telling them how awesome they think you are…but a note being part of my Christmas present?

Then I saw something I’d missed on the back of the envelope. It said “Look in the back of the car, then read this.”

Oops, putting the cart before the horse as always.

Anyway, you can probably tell where I’m going with this. I went outside and in the dark I looked through the back window of the car…and there sitting in the trunk was a brand-new drafting desk from Hobby Lobby. As soon as it’s daylight, I’m setting it up.

…and that, my friends, is why my wife is better that yours ever will be.

No comments: